BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY MEDIA COMPANY
Companies
Sectors
Surveys
Key Findings

The results of the 2020 ITWeb/Nutanix Cloud Survey are out. It ran for three weeks on ITWeb during April and was completed by 214 respondents.

Of the respondents, 69% are decision-makers - 29% are C-level executives, while a further 40% are at mid-management level.

While 35% work in ICT, the remaining 65% hail from a wide range of major industry sectors – financial, retail, telecoms, business services, government, etc

39% work for large companies, with over 1 000 employees, while 48% work in the SME sector (under 200 employees).

Below are some key findings:

1. The top three reasons (primary drivers) for migrating to public cloud are: to enable innovation for business (69%); to leverage new technologies that are only available in the cloud (62%); and to benefit from improved scalability for applications (62%).

2. Just over half of the respondents (52%) believe they are fully in control of their cloud usage: use of public cloud is strictly governed and centrally controlled by IT.
One third (33%)however, only have partial controls in place to ensure IT governs public cloud use, but they suspect there may be some shadow IT taking place.
15% admit to having no control over shadow IT usage, saying that public cloud has been adopted in various shapes and forms in different departments within the organisation.

3. A quarter of respondents (25%) have already completed the execution of their public cloud strategy, while 16% expect to complete within the next 6 months, and a further 16% within the next year. For the remaining 43%, this goal is more than a year and even up to 5 years away.

4. When it comes to migrating business applications to cloud, the most common approach, cited by 62% of respondents, is to modernise current applications and migrate in phases.
Almost one in 4 (23%) said they prefer to migrate all applications as is to public cloud, while the remaining 15% opted for building only new applications in the cloud.

5. Only 11% of respondents are running 100% of their workloads in the cloud; 22% estimate this to be about 75%, and another 23% have half of their workloads in the cloud.

6. With cloud requiring different skillsets over legacy IT, and the general emerging skills shortage, it’s somewhat surprising that only a third of respondents (31%) find it difficult to develop or acquire these new skills; 34% are neutral, while 20% found this task easy.

7. The overwhelming majority of participants (80%) see their IT cloud adoption strategy requiring both public and private cloud (hybrid cloud). 

8. Regarding public cloud SLAs and its ability to immediately deliver on respondents’ requirements, 30% said YES, while for 44% the delivery has been only partial, and 26% said NO, as they first need to architect their applications correctly to deliver the required availability in the public cloud.

9. About a third of respondents (32%) say they have policies and business approval for consuming public cloud; the majority (57%) are still working on it, while 11% haven’t started yet.

10. Predictably, the top challenges experienced with the `cloud-first’ strategy, are: security and privacy (69%), cost (64), and, sharing the third spot at 53% each, legacy applications, and skills.