1. According to the survey the results were pretty much evenly split when the respondents were asked which department is taking overall responsibility for complying with the POPI Act with 21% stating their IT department and 21% citing a member of their board.
2. Only 10% of respondents indicated that their organisation has a dedicated POPI team.
3. It emerged from the survey that a combined percentage of 66% have a good understanding of the POPI Act, however 28% indicated they only understand the basics.
4. Over half of the respondents (62%) have placed a high priority on POPI within their organisation.
5. Only 11% of respondents said their organisation is going to be ready to meet the POPI Act requirements.
6. An overwhelming majority of respondents (77%) believe that their organisation will suffer reputational damage if fined for non-compliance.
7. 65% of respondents said their organisation do have an internal data security policy in place, with a small percentage (3%) stating they have no plans to create one.