Security

'Olympic Destroyer' malware targeted Pyeongchang Games

It is not known who was behind the attack.
It is not known who was behind the attack.

Several US cyber security firms said yesterday they had uncovered a computer virus dubbed "Olympic Destroyer" that was likely used in an attack on Friday's opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Winter Games.

Games organisers confirmed the attack on Sunday, saying it affected Internet and television services but did not compromise critical operations. Organisers did not say who was behind the attack or provide detailed discussion of the malware, though a spokesman said all issues had been resolved as of Saturday.

Researchers with cyber security firms Cisco Systems, CrowdStrike and FireEye said in blog posts and statements to Reuters yesterday that they had analysed computer code they believed was used in Friday's attack.

All three security companies said the Olympic Destroyer malware was designed to knock computers offline by deleting critical system files, which would render the machines useless.

The three firms said they did not know who was behind the attack.

ITWeb Security Summit 2018

Registration is open for ITWeb Security Summit 2018, which will feature cyber security guru Mikko Hypponen and other international infosec players as plenary speakers. Get involved in #SS18HACK and choose from two half-day workshops or a full-day Boot Camp plus five training courses. Click here for the agenda. For the first time, ITWeb Security Summit will also take place in Cape Town.

"Disruption is the clear objective in this type of attack and it leaves us confident in thinking the actors behind this were after embarrassment of the Olympic committee during the opening ceremony," Cisco said in its blog.

The attack took the Olympics Web site offline, which meant some people could not print out tickets, and WiFi used by reporters covering the games did not work during the opening ceremony, according to Cisco.

The attack did not affect the performance of drones, which were initially scheduled to be included in the opening ceremony, but were later pulled from the programme, organisers said in a statement.

The drone light show was cancelled because there were too many spectators standing in the area where it was supposed to take place, the statement said.

Read time 1min 40sec
Have your say
a few seconds ago
Be the first to comment