About
Subscribe

Telkom, SAPS investigate cable thief shooting

Johannesburg, 28 Jul 2006

Fixed-line operator Telkom has confirmed a guard, employed by one of its vendor suppliers, has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting on the West Rand on Thursday morning.

Group executive for corporate communication Lulu Letlape said Telkom and the South African Police (SAPS) are investigating the circumstances that led to the shooting. "However, it must be emphasised that all Telkom vendor suppliers are required to act within the parameters of the law at all times," she said.

On Thursday, the South African Press Association (Sapa) reported a Telkom security guard was arrested on a charge of murder after shooting an alleged cable thief in Witpoortjie.

The guard was in custody at the Roodepoort police station`s holding cells, Sapa quotes police spokesperson Siphiwe Ndlovu as saying.

The news wire said Telkom had dispatched security guards after being alerted that two men were stealing cable at the corner of Main Reef Road and Quellerie Street at 3am. Ndlovu said a case of had also been opened.

Sapa reported the two suspected thieves had disappeared by the time the guards arrived, but returned at 5am, at which time the guards were in waiting. Subsequently, one of the guards was arrested for shooting dead the 20-year-old alleged thief.

Vandalism investigation

Meanwhile, Telkom is still investigating the vandalism that took place earlier this year during a period of industrial action, leaving 65 street distribution cabinets in different regions throughout SA damaged. The vandalism also affected fixed-line and mobile communication in parts of KwaZulu-Natal and Botswana.

Telkom Asset and Revenue Protection Services executive Prince Motsogi says the investigation is ongoing. "Investigations are at a very sensitive stage and further details cannot be released."

Related stories:
Telkom employees indicted with vandalism
Telkom still recovering from vandalism
Telkom probes strike, vandalism link

Share