The Department of Communications has refused to publicly address industry issues around the Independent Communications Authority of SA's (ICASA's) ability to deliver on its mandate.
This comes amid continuing industry criticism that ICASA is a toothless and ineffectual organisation, following its long battle for independence.
On Monday, ITWeb reported on industry concern that digital migration deadlines were too tight and fears that ICASA would be unable to facilitate the licensing by 2008.
The following day, the department's chief director of its policy unit, Norman Munzhelele, would not comment on what action would be taken should ICASA be unable to convert broadcast licences and award spectrum within government's timeframes.
"ICASA is an independent regulator. The department's job is to make policy. After last year's debate around the ICASA Amendment Act, we do not wish to comment on ICASA operations. Having said that, we believe ICASA has the necessary competencies to fulfil its mandate," he said.
Munzhelele was addressing a conference on the topic of digital migration within the broadcasting industry.
Cabinet has set a deadline of 1 November 2008 for digital switch-on. This will be followed by a three-year dual-illumination period - with both digital and analogue broadcasting services running. This would end with the switch-off of analogue services on 1 November 2011.
However, SA's primary broadcasters, the South African Broadcasting Corporation, etv and MultiChoice, have yet to have their licences converted, or spectrum for digital services awarded.
Unrealistic expectations
The regulator is unable to provide guidance on how long it could take to facilitate SA's digital migration strategy.
ICASA spokesman Sekgoela Sekgoela says the regulator cannot explain how it will undertake licensing for digital broadcasting, as this would pre-empt the digital migration strategy, which Cabinet has yet to approve.
"ICASA will only speak of its licensing plan once Cabinet has approved the strategy and implementation plan."
However, BMI-TechKnowledge director Mandla Kuzwayo questions whether next year's switch-on deadline is realistic.
"ICASA has a mammoth task on its hands at the moment with the conversion of existing licences and awarding of new licences. It may have spectrum set aside for digital broadcasting, but it's probably in for a beating next to none if it thinks it will be able to address these and telecommunications requirements within the timeframes set," he says.
World Wide Worx MD Arthur Goldstuck believes government may have to step in to "help" ICASA do its work.
"We can't afford to have the regulator continuing with its pussyfooting strategy. It's in everyone's interest to move forward, and ICASA must get as much help as it can from the Department of Communications to fast-track the process of licence and spectrum allocation," he says.
"Government must be far more aggressive. Unless of course, its public agenda is not the real agenda."
Related stories:
ICASA delay could ruin USAL
Failure to launch
Cellular conflict may head to court
ICASA could hamper expansion
Regulator takes 'corrective measures'
ICASA management under fire


