Axis introduces modular miniature camera series with wide dynamic range for high image detail
Axis Communications, a leader in network video, will this month introduce to South African and African end-users a modular camera series that not only gives customers discreet surveillance solutions that provide high image detail, but also great flexibility in choosing the units that are ideal for the installation.
"The Axis F Series enables great flexibility and discreetness with superb video performance, even in high-contrast lighting conditions," says Jason McGregor, sales manager at Axis Communications. "The series is based on a divided network camera concept, where the camera is split into a lens and image sensor unit, and a main unit - a concept that was first introduced in the Axis P12 Series."
The divided network camera concept allows a small sensor unit to be installed discreetly in tight places, and the bigger main unit to be placed elsewhere and away from public view. Axis F Series consists of units that are all sold separately - including the Axis F41 Main Unit and four compatible Axis F sensor units with different form factors and lens types for different field of views.
The F41 main unit houses the processor, network, power, SD card slot and other connections, and can connect to one Axis F sensor unit. Each sensor unit, which consists of a lens and image sensor, comes with the choice of a 3m or 12m (10ft or 39ft) pre-mounted cable for connecting to the main unit.
"The small sensor units can be flush-mounted in walls, ceilings, doorways, elevators and behind sheet metal with only the small lens surface visible - in the case of the pinhole unit, just a tiny hole for the lens," says McGregor. "Certain F sensor units can also withstand tough conditions such as vibrations, shocks and temperature fluctuations, which make them ideal for use inside and outside of emergency vehicles. The modular concept also gives customers the flexibility to purchase the sensor unit that is ideal for their application."
The F41 main unit supports the following features:
* Axis' Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) - Forensic capture, which enables details from both bright and dark areas of a scene to be visible; ideal for scenarios such as at entrances or in front of ATMs where the subject may be dark against a bright background, or in night-time situations where the camera must handle low-light environments, together with bright lights from vehicles, street lamps, signage and stores.
* HDTV 1080p video at up to 50/60 frames per second, ideal for capturing fast-moving objects and generating smoother video.
* Two-way audio.
* Input/output ports to external devices for enhanced alarm management.
* RS232 port for integration of external data to the video.
* Full-sized SD card slot for local storage.
* Power over Ethernet, as well as the option of connecting to an external power supply.
* Intelligent video capabilities such as video motion detection, active tampering alarm and downloadable applications through the Axis Camera Application Platform.