Lenovo delivers 'no compromises' ultraportable ThinkPad X300 notebook
Lenovo has unveiled its highly-anticipated ThinkPad X300 notebook PC, designed for today's most demanding road warriors, and the thinnest and lightest full-function notebook in its class .
The ultra-thin, ultraportable ThinkPad X300 notebook measures less than 1.85cm at its thinnest point and has a starting weight of 1.33kg .
Rashid Wally, Country General Manager of Lenovo South Africa, says the ThinkPad X300 combines a number of leading technologies such as solid-state drive storage, an LED backlit display, ultra-long battery life and enhanced wireless connectivity.
Rated 'Gold' by the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) for its superior environmental attributes, it also features a number of environmentally-conscious technologies, such as low-voltage processors.
"The ThinkPad X300 notebook marks a major milestone for the ThinkPad family," Wally says. "ThinkPad has been pioneering notebook PC design for more than 15 years, raising the bar on innovation and focusing on the core needs of ThinkPad users, namely quality, reliability and functionality. Our customers told us that they wanted a notebook that was amazingly thin and light, but that they still wanted their battery options, their USB ports and of course, their DVD burner. Well, the waiting is over and it's all there in the ThinkPad X300, our thinnest and lightest ThinkPad ever."
The versatile ThinkPad X300 notebook PC offers models that can be configured for extreme portability starting at just 1.33kg , or maximum battery life of up to 10 hours  or a balance between the two with a convenient built-in DVD burner. With its compact, thin and light design, the notebook packs a powerful punch, providing a full suite of innovative features to meet users' mobile computing needs.
The ThinkPad X300 notebook offers the following features:
* Expanded multimedia - an optional built-in 7-millimeter slim DVD burner for easy, flexible, on-the-go multimedia capabilities. It also includes stereo speakers, digital microphone and an integrated camera.
* Extreme durability - constructed from advanced carbon and glass fibre, the ThinkPad X300 notebook's Next Generation ThinkPad Roll Cage helps protects the notebook from falls.
* Ultimate wireless connectivity - a variety of connectivity options, including models enabled for WWAN, WLAN5, GB Ethernet and modem.
* Clearer, crisper viewing experience - the 13.3-inch LED backlight WXGA+ high-resolution display provides brighter and more energy-efficient performance than LCD displays.
* Enterprise-level security - equipped standard with an integrated fingerprint reader, I/O port disablement and 32-byte password protection, the notebook offers a layered security approach to help protect data and unauthorised access.
* Enhanced performance and data protection: a 1.8-inch 64 GB SSD that provides more than twice the performance of a regular 2.5-inch hard drive . With no moving parts, the technology offers more than four times greater shock resistance as well as greater energy efficiency than traditional hard disk drives and contributes to the notebook's thin and light design . The notebook also comes with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor technology, up to 4GB memory and Lenovo's ThinkVantage Technologies.
Christian Morales, Vice-President of the Sales and Marketing Group and General Manager of Intel Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), says: "Intel Centrino processor technology powers Lenovo's X300 notebooks, offering a no-compromise solution for users. Intel's leading-edge technology reduces component size by more than 50% without compromising the performance or battery life users have come to expect, enabling Lenovo to develop one of the thinnest and fully featured designs today."
In its first big test out the gate, the ThinkPad X300 notebook PC will support team members on the official aircraft of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Torch Relay as it launches a demanding 137 000km, five-continent 'marathon' this month. Often departing from torch relay cities late at night and arriving at the next city in the early hours of the morning, and with no margin for error, the torch team will rely on Lenovo technology to support nearly 22 000 torchbearers in more than 130 cities worldwide.
Rated Gold by EPEAT, the ThinkPad X300 notebook stands out as one of the most environmentally-responsible PCs in the industry. Lenovo designed the notebook to include environmentally-conscious technologies such as energy-efficient SSD and arsenic-free LCD glass and mercury-free LED displays. The energy-efficient LED display helps the ThinkPad X300 notebook achieve up to 35% lower power consumption than previous models. Lenovo also uses recyclable packaging.
The ThinkPad X300 notebook will be available locally by mid-March through Lenovo South Africa's business partners.
 Compared to major vendors offering 13-inch widescreen notebook PCs: Sony, Dell, Apple, Asus and Fujitus Siemens. Full featured defined as including technologies such as built-in DVD burner, selection of USB ports, Ethernet connection, replaceable battery and more.
 Weight of 1.33kg achieved with configuration of standard 3-cell lithium polymer battery and empty bezel/no integrated DVD burner.
 Battery life (and recharge times) will vary based on many factors, including use of Battery Stretch and other system settings and usage. A description of the environment under which the test was performed is available upon request. 10-hour battery life achieved with configuration of 6-cell Li-Ion plus Option Bay 3-cell Li-Polymner battery without integrated DVD/multiburner. See www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/batterylife/.
 Lenovo tests performed compared 1.8-inch 64 GB SATA SSD Samsung RBX to 2.5-inch RPM SATA HD used in Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks.
 11n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapters: are based on the Draft Release Version 1.0 of the IEEE 802.11n specification, which has not been finalised.