Is e-mail still relevant?
Collaboration platforms and instant messaging apps are great and incredibly useful, but they will never replace e-mail. E-mail will always be the primary communication tool in business because of the following reasons:
- E-mail is universal –Other than a cellular telephone, e-mail is a medium every professional has to have and needs to check regularly.
- E-mail is convenient –E-mail is compatible on any device, making it a convenient ‘anywhere access’ platform. Did you know, 85% of e-mail users access e-mails via their smartphones? E-mails are also less intrusive. Users can choose to silence notifications and opt to check mails during office hours only.
- E-mail is a great record keeper and support structure –E-mail simply remains the best and most convenient way to send and receive documents and smaller files. E-mails don’t take up a lot of space, which is why it is rarely needed to delete anything business-related. E-mails are therefore a great record keeper and support structure to keep track of communication and use as the baseline for all business correspondence.
- E-mail is smart –E-mail has kept up. You might think all your e-mail can do is send, reply and forward. Perhaps this is also all you need your e-mail to do, but nowadays, there are multiple smart features that can allow you to use your e-mail more effectively.
Use e-mail smartly by:
1. Sending e-mails from @yourbusiness.co.za name using a reliable e-mail hosting provider
Owning a professional business domain for your business is affordable and easy to obtain. So if you are still sending business e-mails from @gmail.com or @yahoo.co.uk address: please stop! And you don’t have to wait for your Web site to be ready to start using your e-mail either. With Domains.co.za’s e-mail hosting with free e-mail SSL, you can send e-mails professionally and securely from the start.
2. Setting up your e-mail domain authentications
DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail) and SPF (Sender Policy Framework) are two domain authentications that can help you with the deliverability and security of your e-mails. They are DNS TXT records that authenticate your e-mails so that your e-mails cannot be tampered with or get blocked by the recipient’s server.
Setting these up manually can be slightly tricky if you aren’t familiar with the process. Luckily, we automatically configure any domain that has taken out a domains.co.za Web hosting or e-mail hosting package for both.
3. Following good e-mail etiquette
E-mail is and always will be the number one business communication tool. Sending professional e-mails is therefore critical. By following e-mail etiquette internally and externally, individuals and companies can create and build good reputations, prevent misunderstandings and save time.
E-mail is not dying, it is adapting to the business landscape and it is getting smarter. Are you using it effectively in your business?