Commvault unveils new Simpana software innovations
* More than 15 000 companies including Adobe, BT, Levi Strauss & Co, McAfee and Raymond
* James Trust Simpana software to reduce risk, slash costs, improve information access and
* Increase IT agility
At its SolveForward 2012 event today, CommVault will unveil new, next-generation Singular Information Management innovations that further empower Simpana software customers to lower data management costs, reduce business and compliance risks, and easily extract data for better decision-making with anywhere, anytime information access. These include:
* New Simpana OnePass capability slashes the combined time typically required to backup, archive and report by more than 50% over traditional methods with the industry's first converged backup, archive and reporting process designed to affordably protect, manage and access data on systems that have become “too big”.
* Simpana SnapProtect technology now delivers the industry's broadest hardware snapshot integration, providing customers with SAN investment protection and choice, eliminating the backup window, accelerating recovery and reducing costs.
* Simpana software enhancements accelerate virtual server adoption further by helping organisations better manage, protect and scale virtual machines across their enterprises and into the cloud.
* New Simpana Edge Protection protects data on laptops and desktops with embedded source deduplication for optimised efficiency. End-users now have flexibility to search, access and perform self-service recovery through any Windows, iOS and/or Android device.
* New Simpana 9 integration with Microsoft SharePoint improves application performance, capacity utilisation and shrinks backup windows.
* Global businesses today face greater complexity and risk, especially as data continues to double every two years. This unabated data surge creates business, IT and economic challenges that are compounded by an influx of mobile computing devices, driving more business-critical data to the edge and to the cloud. According to Dave Russell, research vice-president, Storage Technologies and Strategies: “More than two-thirds of all organisational data resides outside the data centre and the majority of that is unprotected by IT.”
* Built on Simpana software's unique, singular platform, CommVault's latest advancements are highlighted by the industry's first converged backup, archive and reporting solution for big data management; industry-leading array snapshot integration; next-generation virtual machine protection; new mobile worker protection; and optimised SharePoint data management.
* With these modern innovations, IT organisations can quickly adapt to the changing demands of their businesses, meet rising recovery service levels, and increase protection and management of data centre, virtualised, edge and cloud computing environments.
N. Robert Hammer, CommVault's chairman, president and CEO:
“Today's global businesses are governed by two key drivers: unprecedented rates of data growth and the increasing need for instant data access to cost-effectively extract data for timelier, more informed decision-making. Traditional data backup methods are being replaced, as customers demand better ways to protect, manage and access data in order to derive greater value from this information. With our latest Simpana software innovations, CommVault continues to lead the industry in helping businesses move rapidly towards more efficient, self-service infrastructures, while redefining how data is managed to increase its ultimate business value. Today's announcement reinforces our innovation lead, further setting us apart as the standard in modern data and information management.”
Additional quotes available here.
Protect, manage and access big data with new Simpana OnePass
According to Gartner, in 2011, traditional content types, including simple unstructured user data, are seeing growth rates of up to 80% year-over-year. This unrelenting growth is a major force driving the era of “big data.” There simply isn't enough time, resources or budget to manage, protect, index and retain massive amounts of unstructured data using legacy methods and tools.
An industry first, CommVault's new Simpana OnePass converges backup, archive, analytics and deduplication into a single process, reducing combined operations time by more than 50% compared to traditional methods. From a single data collection, information is copied, indexed and stored in Simpana ContentStore - an intelligent, virtual repository that provides an efficient and scalable foundation for e-discovery, data mining, retention and more.
Additionally, data analytics and reporting can be performed from the index to help classify data and implement archive policies for data tiering to lower cost media, thereby further reducing total cost of ownership. Simpana OnePass capability enables customers to:
* Lower Costs - One, integrated product reduces infrastructure demands, operational costs and administrative burden associated with siloed backup, archive, reporting and deduplication tools.
* Simplify Management - Consolidating management and policies into a single console maximises IT productivity and reduces overall support costs.
* Collapse the Backup Window - By moving data once, redundant backup, archive and reporting processes are eliminated from the backup window. Integrated source-side deduplication combined with deduplication-aware synthetic full backups remove the majority of the workload impact on production systems.
* Report and Analyse - File analytics provide insight into data types, classification, trends and metrics about the data under management.
* Simpana OnePass policies now extend full coverage for scale-out file systems including Dell Lustre HPC and HP X9000 Network Storage System to combine cost-effective protection, retention and management for big data solutions.
Unleash value of hardware snapshots
Users are increasingly employing snapshot and replication tools to fix broken backup windows, complex recovery processes and limited infrastructure resources. However, they often face new challenges caused by the relatively high cost of primary storage, lack of a centralised catalogue, and the need for complex scripting to move snapshot data to lower cost storage media.
Simpana SnapProtect technology unlocks the value of snapshot and replication techniques through automated policy management that eliminates scripting, while providing a centralised console for managing multiple-vendor SAN arrays. Also, the Simpana SnapProtect technology catalogues snapshot data to enable granular recovery while automating the movement of deduplicated data to lower cost storage media for long-term retention.
With unmatched array integration and its new IntelliSnap Connect Program, CommVault's support for disk-based snapshot management includes integration with Dell Compellent, EqualLogic and MD arrays; EMC's DMX, VMAX and VNX platforms; Hitachi Data Systems' VSP, USPv and AMS; HP's EVA and 3PAR arrays; IBM's XIV and SVC; and storage arrays from NetApp, including recently acquired LSI storage arrays.
Deeper integration with NetApp provides end-to-end automation across snapshot, provisioning and replication storage architectures to eliminate the backup window while simplifying recovery and protection for applications.
New SnapProtect integration with Simpana replication software enables affordable disaster recovery for applications running on non-snapshot supported storage.
Accelerate migration to virtualisation
Organisations are scaling their virtualisation efforts rapidly to achieve more flexible, agile applications and services. However, they often grapple with data protection limitations that inhibit scale, increase risk and add complexity.
Enhancements to Simpana Virtual Server Protection remove these roadblocks, including:
* New Reference Architectures Accelerate Application Migration - Leveraging Simpana SnapProtect for virtual server protection, new scalable reference architectures for virtual infrastructure building blocks on NetApp storage deliver massively scalable data protection for large VM deployments.
* New Self-Service Restores Increase Agility - New self-service recovery options for VMware simplify restore operations in multi-tenant environments to free IT resources for more strategic projects. A vCenter plugin enables VM admins to restore files directly from the vCenter console to lower management costs. A Web-based restore console enables admins and users to restore their own data, skipping the low-level helpdesk calls.
* New VirtualizeMe P2V Automated DR Testing Reduces Risk - By leveraging the encapsulation and portability features built into the virtual platform, Simpana software users can dramatically simplify and accelerate their DR test processes by performing a “Virtualise Me” automated virtual recovery.
Protect and empower the mobile worker
Data at the edge has quickly become as important to an organisation as data that resides on servers in the data centre, but too often is left unprotected and undiscoverable. Simpana 9 introduces the most complete set of capabilities today for protecting, recovering, accessing and discovering the information stored at the edge of the enterprise.
CommVault's new Edge Data Protection solution delivers centralised protection for thousands of Windows, Mac and Linux systems, including self-service backup and recovery to improve productivity and reduce operating costs. Integrated content indexing centralises discovery of edge data that resides in the data centre or cloud storage to lower risk and e-discovery costs.
A new mobile app available on iOS and Android further enhances mobile worker productivity for search, access and recovery of data stored on laptops and desktops.
Optimise SharePoint management
SharePoint is one of the fastest growing applications in Microsoft's history. With Simpana 9, organisations can easily manage growing SharePoint deployments across their enterprises, without impacting business risk and productivity.
Simpana archiving with BLOB (binary large object) storage integration enables faster, trimmer, better performing SharePoint access while automating data tiering to reduce both primary storage costs and the backup window.
Integrated Simpana storage resource management provides data reporting and analysis to help organisations understand their SharePoint data and implement storage policies to optimise performance.
* Register for SolveForward Virtual Launch Event
* CommVault Simpana 9 Software SolveForward Online Press Kit
* Video: Customers Recommend CommVault
* Video: Trust is Alive and Well
* CommVault Simpana 9 Software
* Video: Simpana OnePass Demonstrated
* More on the IntelliSnap Connect Program
* More CommVault news