Red Hat launches Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2
Linux Warehouse, the premier distributor of enterprise open source software for southern Africa and an authorised distributor in southern Africa for Red Hat, today announced the latter's release of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2, with fully supported Storage Live Migration and a new third-party plug-in framework.
As part of Red Hat's open hybrid cloud offerings, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation is the industry's only mission-critical end-to-end, open source virtualisation infrastructure designed for enterprise users and global organisations.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 is designed to meet an increasing industry need for open virtualisation solutions without compromising performance, scalability, security or features. Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation is also an essential component of Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, which combines traditional data centre virtualisation features provided by Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation, cloud-enabled infrastructure provided by Red Hat OpenStack, and hybrid cloud management provided by Red Hat CloudForms, to deliver a comprehensive open hybrid cloud solution for customers seeking to adopt cloud-enabled applications and infrastructure in coexistence with their traditional infrastructure, and migrate over time as their needs demand.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 brings a vast array of new features, including:
* Fully-supported Storage Live Migration, allowing virtual machine images to be moved from one storage domain to another without disrupting service;
* Support for the latest industry-standard processors from Intel and AMD, including Intel Haswell series and AMD Opteron G5 processors; and,
* Enhancements in storage management, networking management, fencing and power management, Spice console enhancements, logging and monitoring, and more.
New third-party plug-ins
A key feature in Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 is the availability of a new third-party plug-in framework. Developed through community and vendor collaboration and contributions, the plug-in framework enables third parties to integrate new features and actions directly into the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation management user interface. New menu items, panes, and dialogue boxes allow users to access the new functionality the same way they use Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation's native functionality. The framework continues to evolve based on vendor and community requests, and any vendor may choose to consume the plug-in framework and add unique functionality to Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation.
Red Hat is already collaborating with several industry leaders to integrate their solutions with Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation via the new plug-in, including high availability and disaster recovery solutions from NetApp, Symantec, and Insight Control from HP:
* NetApp: Virtual Storage Console (VSC) for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation helps improve efficiency while reducing cost and complexity in virtual environments using NetApp storage. VSC provides integrated virtual storage management, including rapid domain provisioning and cloning of hundreds of virtual machines, while enabling Red Hat administrators to access and execute all of these capabilities using the standard Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation management interface. NetApp is now accepting applications for the VSC for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation beta.
* Symantec: Veritas Cluster Server from Symantec, the comprehensive disaster recovery and high availability solution, will support Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 environments. Once integration is complete, Veritas Cluster Server will offer "push button" disaster recovery orchestration, and together with the Veritas Operations Manager Recovery Plan feature, completely automate the failover of a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation environment over to a disaster recovery site. This includes guests, guest network reconfiguration, and storage reconfiguration. Veritas Cluster Server is designed to provide high availability and disaster recovery for databases, custom applications, and complete multi-tiered applications across physical and virtual environments over any distance.
* HP: Insight Control for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation, a new plug-in currently being developed by HP to enable deployments using HP ProLiant servers to view a wealth of information provided by the HP Insight Control platform. Within the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation graphical interface, administrators can quickly and easily obtain detailed information on the health of the HP server hardware.
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 builds on the industry-leading performance of the KVM hypervisor to offer an enterprise-class data centre virtualisation and management solution to customers looking to save costs as well as implement an open architecture," commented Radhesh Balakrishnan, general manager, Virtualisation, Red Hat. "With the addition of Storage Live Migration and third-party plug-ins from our industry partners, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation's compelling value proposition to customers virtualising Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows workloads alike gets stronger."
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 represents a significant step forward for open source virtualisation," added Patrick Rogers, vice president, Data Center Platforms, NetApp. "With Red Hat's new third-party plug-in framework, NetApp can now accelerate virtual machine cloning and provisioning in Red Hat environments. Additionally, with the recent launch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 and the clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 architecture, NetApp and Red Hat are enabling organisations that run virtualised solutions on Red Hat products to maximise the performance and scalability of their virtual environments with the industry's first end-to-end parallel NFS solution."
"Virtualised data centres require high availability and disaster recovery capabilities in the same way as traditional server environments," continued Doug Matthews, vice-president of product management, Information Availability, Symantec. "We are pleased to continue our long-time collaboration with Red Hat to bring seamless support for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation 3.2 to our Veritas Cluster Suite to bring customers peace of mind that their most critical applications and data will be available at all times."
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation is an essential part of UNE's expansion and growth," concluded Jaime Arango, Director IDC and Office IT, UNE Telecommunications. "We rely on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation to support all of our internal and external systems, and find that it offers us consistency, performance, versatility, and cost savings to help us compete in the highly competitive telecommunications market."
For further information, please contact the sales team: tel (011) 795 7950; e-mail email@example.com.